Journal Article

Price Pressures for U.S. Exporters and a Strong Dollar Have Increased Inflation in Foreign Countries

Abstract: As the higher demand for imported goods during the pandemic has moderated, U.S. export prices have become an important factor in determining inflationary pressures from the United States. As of 2022:Q2, export prices increased by 11.8 percent annualized, far exceeding the historical average of 3.75 percent. Further, 58 percent of the increase in export prices can be attributed to the recent appreciation of the U.S. dollar, while the remaining 42 percent can be attributed to price pressures for U.S. exporters.

Keywords: Prices; Exports; Inflation;

JEL Classification: E31;

Access Documents


Bibliographic Information

Provider: Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

Part of Series: Economic Bulletin

Publication Date: 2022-08-31

Issue: August 31, 2022

Pages: 4