On December 12, 2019, Fed in Print will introduce its new platform for discovering content. Please direct your questions to Anna Oates
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
Crises in the Housing Market: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Lessons
The global financial crisis of the past decade has shaken the research and policy worlds out of their belief that housing markets are mostly benign and immaterial for understanding economic cycles. Instead, a growing consensus recognizes the central role that housing plays in shaping economic activity, particularly during large boom and bust episodes. This article discusses the latest research regarding the causes, consequences, and policy implications of housing crises with a broad focus that includes empirical and structural analysis, insights from the 2000's experience in the United States, and perspectives from around the globe. Even with the significant degree of heterogeneity in legal environments, institutions, and economic fundamentals over time and across countries, several common themes emerge to guide current and future thinking in this area.
Cite this item
Carlos Garriga & Aaron Hedlund, Crises in the Housing Market: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Lessons, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Working Papers 2019-33, 18 Apr 2019.
Note: Published August 2019 in Oxford Research Encyclopedia, Economics and Finance (doi: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190625979.013.159).
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search; Learning; Information and Knowledge; Communication; Belief; Unawareness
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Investment; Capital; Intangible Capital; Capacity
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Keywords: housing; mortgages; debt; crisis; foreclosure
This item with handle RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2019-033
is also listed on EconPapers
For corrections, contact Anna Oates ()